Tuesday, September 23, 2008

my eye feels like this; my head sounds like that


I decided that I should blog about my chronic migraines, but since I've had a chronic migraine for the last 12 or so days, it took me awhile to blog about it. In fact, between my birthday, teaching a couple of classes for Thomas last Friday (since he was at the critical theory roundtable in NYC), and the 12 day migraine, I haven't been keeping this blog current. But in the face of adversity, I decided to buck up and throw down a few disjointed thoughts:

so if you can imagine taking the first three fingers of your right hand, slipping them behind your right eyeball, and ever so forcefully prying said eyeball from its resident socket, you would have some idea of the nagging pain that I've been experiencing for the last two weeks. Moreover, that's the kind of pain that I generally experience - off and on - though more often on - day after day and year after year. Usually it's my left eye; today it's my right eye. Often my neck and jaw ache; my temples throb; sometimes I'm nauseous; and reading and/or using my computer almost always makes it worse. I seem to have developed a tolerance to my relief medication (Relpax), and my migraine 'prophylactic' medications (Topamax; Neurontin) have yet to yield any significant results. Thus, I go to sleep with pain; I awaken with pain; and I'm beginning to suspect that the whole ordeal is causing me to lose my slippery grip on reality.

Anyway, if any blog readers out there have been wondering why I haven't been posting, wonder no more. It's simply because I'm beginning to go insane.

No comments: