Sunday, August 31, 2008

Metablog


When I first started this blog I blogged about why people would want to have blogs. Well, I'm starting to formulate an answer. I guess it's pretty obvious now that I think about it, but I admit that it hadn't occurred to me until last night at about 4:30 in the morning. Blogging is, dare I say, a potential form of... art.

I'm going to quickly qualify that with the statement that all blogs are not art, nor do I think my blog is art. But, as that most blogs are in some ways vessels for creative output (much like canvas and paint, or pen and paper), the format-blog is yet another medium by which the human subject can liberate its generally stifled sense of self.

Well, needless to say that since I was up till 4:30am, I'm in no condition to ramble on about such trivialities. But future blog entries about blogging (and art?) will fall under the metablog label, and I guess I'll poke around and see if anyone has written some academic literature on it. Maybe this can spawn an essay on Habermas and Blogging as Communicate Action, coupled with Gadamer's theory of Play and coming to understanding, by which the Blog-as-Art opens up new possibilities for the to-and-fro of discourse.

No comments: